Tuesday, July 25, 2017

5 Signs I'm really over Facebook


I'm so over my obsession with Facebook. All that ranting and raving and preaching that goes on. Everyone thinks they have the answer. Meh. Who needs it? And yes, I'm writing about it right now. I know. But today, after 2 weeks of distancing myself, I came to the realization that Facebook just doesn't interest me all that much any more. I was perfectly happy before it came into my life and I just don't need it. So, about those signs....

1. People send me messages to be sure I'm OK.

Are you sick? Is everything alright? I haven't seen you on Facebook for days. Ha ha ha! Maybe this is also an indicator of my age, but nevertheless, people are noticing my absence.

2. People also message me now when something noteworthy is posted.

Because otherwise, I'd never know. A few weeks ago, no one would have had to tell me my class reunion pics were up. Today, someone had to do exactly that. Otherwise, I would have had no idea at all.

3. I suddenly have oodles of time.

The sheer amount of time I wasted on Facebook over the last few years is reflected in the amount of free time I now have and also in how many things I'm able to accomplish in a day. I'm like superwoman around the house now. LOL

4. Politics fade into the background of life.

Some might say this is a bad thing. But personally, I believe I was a little too aware and a little too busy “creating awareness” for my own psychological health. A little cognitive dissonance can be good for a person. My life is so peaceful without being reminded of the ugliness in the world every day. Trump who?

5. I'm content.

You know? Happiness and contentment are two different things. I was happy before. But now, I'm at peace. No one is trolling me. No one is starting arguments with me to prove a point, prove me wrong or tout their superiority. No one is ruining my day with their judgmental “jokes” and finger pointing. Or at least, if they are, I don't know about it.

Bonus sign:

Don't even care enough about Facebook to "clean up" my friend's list. 

A closing note:

You guys, I've never been very socially inclined. I've always been a bit of a weird and wacky outcast. It makes sense that “The Social Network” wouldn't really be a natural fit for me. Oh, I'll still drop in to say hello occasionally, I'm sure. I love my friends but when it comes to Facebook itself?

I'm so over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment